20.6.07

JOHNSON HAS IT TAPED AGAIN

Further to my post of yesterday, good news for Joe Johnson who is now in possession on video footage of the 1986 World Championship.

BBC Look North contacted the BBC's sport library in London, who have put together a DVD for Joe.

And Bernard Thorpe, who played alongside Joe as captain of Dudley Hill Social Club in the 1970s, also came forward.

He said: "I taped the match and had it on Betamax. I worked as a caretaker at City Hall and the boilerman put it on VHS for me. It is a really good picture, but there's the sound of the boiler in the background."

Despite this extraneous addition to the footage, Joe is naturally delighted. He said: "I can't believe it. I haven't seen the match for 21 years - not since I won it - and now I can watch it again."

No comments: