29.7.09

NOTES ON A STEEL CITY

I'm in Sheffield for a few days for reasons that need not detain us here.

Like any self-respecting snooker fan, I went to the Crucible yesterday. Except, it's like a mausoleum: wrapped in tarpaulin and covered in scaffolding.

This is all part of the ongoing renovation of the iconic venue but it was still odd to witness.

Far more seriously, Vijay's Indian restaurant up by the Grosvenor Hotel has shut down. For as long as I can remember, this was the traditional venue of choice for an eve of tournament nosh-up for journalists and officials relishing the 17 days of lunacy to come.

But no longer.

I can't help thinking that this is a metaphor for something.

4 comments:

MattWilson said...

Vijay's is superb! Awful news.

I'd rather have slept in that restaurant than stayed in the Grosvenor... one of the most horrendous hotels I've ever stayed in!

Janie said...

I can't believe Vijay's has shut down, what is the world coming to!!

Snooker-Virus said...

Vijay's Indian restaurant has shut down??? What a shame... lets hope its not a metaphor for something...

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're not used to being in Sheffield when the snooker's not on Dave. Maybe stay away from the Crucible outside April to avoid feelings of angst and depression! I bet it's similar to going to your favourite ski resort in the summer.