26.7.10

ALEX HIGGINS DIES: JIMMY WHITE TRIBUTE

Jimmy White has paid tribute to his friend Alex Higgins, who died on Saturday.

White told the Daily Mirror: "I was crying all yesterday. I'm absolutely devastated.

"I was in awe of him. I didn't always agree with what he did but I loved him. I have lost a friend and I will remember him forever.

"Alex took snooker in the 1970s to the heights which it reached in the 80s - that was all down to him."

White is on his way back from the Six Reds World Championship in Thailand to attend Higgins's funeral.

A book of condolence will be opened at Belfast City Hall this morning.

3 comments:

JAMIE O'REILLY said...

SAD, SAD TIME. HOPE JIMMY WHITE IS AS WELL AS HE CAN BE. I HOPE ALEX HIGGINS'S FUNERAL, IN SOME WAY IS COVERED IN SNOOKER NEWS. HIGGINS ONCE SAID OF WHITE, " HE IS MURCURIAL, CHARISMATIC, EXCITING. HE IS JUST SIMMILAR TO MYSELF, ONLY, A YOUNGER VERSION OF MYSELF." R.I.P TO SNOOKER FIRST PEOPLE'S CHAMPION!

Anonymous said...

When is the funeral?

Anonymous said...

I would like to say how sad i was to here that the people champion
Alex Higgins has pass away.
rest in peace Alex