15.4.09

HARD SHOULDER

What I always enjoy about the build up to the Crucible are the little bits of rumour and tittle tattle that fly around before the big event actually gets underway.

I've been told at least four players are ill without any actual evidence. However, Neil Robertson is reported to have injured his shoulder and I give more credence to this claim as he withdrew from a planned appearance in the mixed doubles event that formed part of the women's world championship last week.

I hope for Neil's sake that this is just a minor thing. The last player you want to be up against when you've got an injury is the granite-like Steve Davis, who is unlikely to show any mercy.

13 comments:

Monique said...

Shame! I hope most rumours are unfounded and Neil will indeed be able to compete. It must be terribly disapointing for a player to end the season with an injury/illness preventing him to compete in the most prestigious event of the season.
Get well soon all.

Greg said...

Granite-like Davis? Um, maybe if you're talking about the colour of his hair these days.

Sergey said...

Stan James has Davis at an attractive 7/2 which I find tempting if the sore shoulder story is true.

Snooker-Virus said...

in this context: any news about Ian McCulloch?

Janie said...

I hope all the players are fit and well
Also that Jan Verhaas is fit after his recurring back problems in China.

Everyone, on and off table, needs to be in peak fitness to get through the marathon at the Crucible.

Yours truly has been double dosing on the anti-biotics, vitamins and everything else I can lay my hands on!!

We're ready - bring it on!!

RichP said...

Dave, can you post the rumours on here so that I can adjust my bets accordingly.

Sergey said...

Aye, I'll second that.

7/2 Davis looks good if Robertson has a gammy shoulder.

Anonymous said...

Let's just hope that John Parrot has recovered from his bad back, which sadly prevented him from travelling to the far east (where he would have lost in the 1st round). Thank god he felt well enough to be able to co-present BBC's coverage of The Grand National, which took place over the exact same weekend...

Anonymous said...

2 players have recently lost cues

1 player has lost his shoes

2 players have misplaced their lucky shirts

1 player had his waistcoat stolen

1 player has lost his head

Anonymous said...

I hear one of the players has been stricken down with Bubonic Plague.
Otherwise known as the black death, it may affect his chances.

Sergey said...

Name, names, Anon!!

Us punters backing correct score betting need to know!

Anonymous said...

Sergey - i hope you're not Jamie Burnett

Claus Christensen said...

Nice comment anon 3:00, made me laugh.